Thread: Corvette Racing hour 12 report
06-15-2008, 12:42 AM #1
Corvette Racing hour 12 report
Corvette Racing hour 12 report
Corvette Racing Second in GT1 at Midpoint of 24 Hours of Le Mans
Magnussen 41 Seconds Behind Leader at 3 a.m.
LE MANS, France, June 15, 2008 - At the halfway point of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the quest for the GT1 title has become a four-car race. The duel between Corvette Racing and Aston Martin Racing took on the aspects of a chess match as darkness descended on the Le Mans circuit. The first nine hours of the race were run without a full-course caution, but the first safety car period began at the 9:10 mark and lasted for 32 minutes. Strategy emerged as the two teams jockeyed for track position and made calculated pit stops to ensure full fuel tanks when racing resumed. The extended safety car period negated the fuel mileage advantage that had allowed the No. 63 Corvette C6.R to run 14 laps between stops on several stints versus 13 laps for its rivals.
Earlier in the evening, the No. 64 Corvette encountered an electrical problem at the six-hour mark when a connection on the alternator failed. The Corvette Racing crew replaced the alternator in six minutes, losing a lap to the leader. Oliver Gavin replaced Max Papis in the cockpit and returned to action at 6:03 into the race.
As the race reached its midpoint at 3 a.m., Jan Magnussen was second in the GT1 standings in the No. 63 Corvette, 41 seconds behind the class-leading No. 009 Aston Martin. The No. 007 Aston Martin was third, and the No. 64 Corvette driven by Max Papis was fourth, one lap down.
The Corvette drivers have been running double stints throughout their rotations and double-stinting their Michelin tires in the cool temperatures. Gavin was followed by Beretta and Papis in the No. 64 Corvette C6.R while Magnussen was followed by O'Connell and Fellows in the No. 63 Corvette C6.R. After 12 hours of hard racing, both Corvettes had made 13 pit stops. The top four contenders have turned fast laps that range from 3.49.387 (No. 009 Aston Martin DBR9) to 3:50.650 (No. 63 Corvette C6.R).
CORVETTE RACING QUOTES:
Olivier Beretta, No. 64 Corvette C6.R: "We ran for a long time behind the safety car and the exhaust from the car in front of me was giving me a headache. The car is OK, everything is fine."
Ron Fellows, No. 63 Corvette C6.R: ?It was very slick out there. I was struggling and I don?t quite know why. The soft tires didn?t quite work for some reason. Jan took over on soft stickers. Traffic was not too bad but I got stuck for a while behind the No. 59 Aston and the Saleen which were fighting each other. There?s still a long distance to go, and anything can happen, so we?ll have to wait and see.?
Oliver Gavin, No. 64 Corvette C6.R: "It's been a bit crazy. There have been moments when the traffic is so bad you're just dawdling around the track for several corners. The car is still running quickly, but then you can lose five seconds in traffic. If you get a clear run you can do 3.50s and 3.51s, and 3.49 if you're really lucky. I think that will be the pace for the rest of the night."
Jan Magnussen, No. 63 Corvette C6.R: "That wasn?t too bad, just cruising around and staying out of trouble. Which isn?t easy, as there are a lot of guys out there who clearly haven?t driven a lot in the dark before. The balance of the car is okay, it?s just moving around a bit. When the sun comes out again we?ll be stronger than the Astons, I?m sure.?
Johnny O'Connell, No. 63 Corvette C6.R: "The car is a bit nicer than it was before. The toughest thing is getting a clear lap in. We?ve got a good car, and the fuel consumption is very good. We?re doing 14 laps a stint, so each time we?re gaining some time back on the Astons.?
Max Papis, No. 64 Corvette C6.R: "We've been pushing very hard since we had the alternator problem and it doesn't seem like we can make up much ground. We're very consistent, but not as fast as I was expecting us to be. It's still a long way and everyone is pulling the best out of themselves."
06-15-2008, 12:52 AM #2
1. Gene/Minassian/Villeneuve Team Peugeot Total Peugeot 908 HDi 12hr 03m 03.156s LMP1 200 laps
2. Capello/McNish/Kristensen Audi Sport North America Audi R10 TDi +2m 53.703s LMP1
3. Klien/Montagny/Zonta Peugeot Sport Total Peugeot 908 HDi +1 lap LMP1
4. Luhr/Premat/Rockenfeller Audi Sport Team Joest Audi R10 TDi +2 laps LMP1
5. Biela/Pirro/Werner Audi Sport North America Audi R10 TDi +2 laps LMP1
6. Primat/Tinseau/Treluyer Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo 07-Judd +8 laps LMP1
7. Lamy/Sarrazin/Wurz Team Peugeot Total Peugeot 908 HDi +8 laps LMP1
8. Groppi/Ayari/Duval Team ORECA Matmut Courage-ORECA LC70-Judd +9 laps LMP1
9. Boullion/Collard/Dumas Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo 01-Judd +9 laps LMP1
10. van Merkstein/Verstappen/Bleekemolen van Merksteijn Motorsport Porsche RS Spyder +11 laps LMP2
11. Neilsen/Elgaard/Maassen Team Essex Porsche RS Spyder +12 laps LMP2
12. Ickx/Gregoire/Barbosa Rollcentre Racing Pescarolo 04-Judd +14 laps LMP1
13. Mucke/Charouz/Enge Charouz Racing System Lola-Aston Martin +20 laps LMP1
14. Ragues/Lahaye/Cheng Saulnier Racing Pescarolo 06-Judd +20 laps LMP2
15. Brabham/Turner/Garcia Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin DBR9 +20 laps GT1
16. O'Connell/Magnussen/Fellows Corvette Racing Corvette C6.R +20 laps GT1
17. Amaral/Pla/Smith Quifel-ASM Lola B05/40-AER +21 laps LMP2
18. Frentzen/Wendlinger/Piccini Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin DBR9 +21 laps GT1
19. Beretta/Gavin/Papis Corvette Racing Corvette C6.R +22 laps GT1
20. Alphand/Policand/Moreau Luc Alphand Aventures Corvette C6.R +24 laps GT1
21. Pompidou/Belicchi/Zacchia Speedy Racing Team Sebah Lola B08/80-Judd +25 laps LMP2
22. Nicolet/Hein/Faggionato Saulnier Racing Pescarolo 05-Judd +26 laps LMP1
23. Menten/Fittipaldi/Borcheller Team Modena Aston Martin DBR9 +26 laps GT1
24. Itoh/Tachikawa/Kataoka Dome Racing Team Dome S102-Judd +28 laps LMP1
25. Goueslard/Blanchemain/Pasquali Luc Alphand Aventures Corvette C6.R +29 laps GT1
26. Melo/Salo/Bruni Risi Competizione Ferrari F430 GT +29 laps GT2
27. Bell/Sugden/Mullen Virgo Motorsport Ferrari F430 GT +31 laps GT2
28. Malucelli/Ruberti/Babini BMS Scuderia Italia Ferrari F430 GT +31 laps GT2
29. Ferte/Aucott/Daoudi JMB Ferrari F430 GT +33 laps GT2
30. Kaffer/Nielsen/Ehret Farnbacher Racing Ferrari F430 GT +34 laps GT2