Advertise with VetteTube!   -   Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Plug Wire #8 cyl

OK--whats the secret to getting the #8 spark plug wire off? It's impossible to get my hand in there! I have replaced the other seven plugs, but I can't even get my hand in there for #8! Is there a special tool? Is there a magic solution? I have thought to just break off the plug and fish the broken piece out with a pliers. Then take out the plug and replace it with the new one.

Plugs/Wires LT4

Is anybody out there? I can't be the only one with this problem!!

#8 is kind of a pain. I had to work from the drivers side, leaning over the top of the engine and with my left hand I was able to get into a position to work the wire off. Twisting/pulling action, so as not to damage the wire. I used a plug socket and a boxed end wrench to break it loose. and again from the drivers side/left hand I was able to work the plug out and then the new one back in. Hope this helps.

Plugs/Wires LT4

Toms94--

Thanks for the tip!! I'll try that tonight. It sounds like it worked for you, and I'm sure it will work for me. I had thought of breaking off the old plug and digging out the piece that breaks off, but I decided that there was an easier way, and you provided me that option. Thank you very much!!!

[quote=Toms94;720]#8 is kind of a pain. I had to work from the drivers side, leaning over the top of the engine and with my left hand I was able to get into a position to work the wire off. Twisting/pulling action, so as not to damage the wire. I used a plug socket and a boxed end wrench to break it loose. and again from the drivers side/left hand I was able to work the plug out and then the new one back in. Hope this helps.[/quote

That's exactly how I got to mine.

I stood on the driver's side, put a couple of heavy, folded towels on the intake manifold, then climbed up onto the intake, belly-down. Reached over, grabbed the boot and wiggled/pulled it.

Jake

Plugs/Wires LT4

JAKEJR-
    Thanks for the reply. It sounds like that is the "magic" solution I was looking for. I will try it tonight.

By the way, there is 3 Jakes in our family. Our grandson is Jake #10! I thought for a minute my son Jake was answering my question.

Quote Originally Posted by C2C3C4 View Post
    JAKEJR-
    Thanks for the reply. It sounds like that is the "magic" solution I was looking for. I will try it tonight.

By the way, there is 3 Jakes in our family. Our grandson is Jake #10! I thought for a minute my son Jake was answering my question.
    Let us know how it works when you try it out tonight!

JAKEJR-

Wow! That's a lot of Jakes. Wonder how you keep them apart? LOL My Dad was a JAKE, too, so I'm actually JAKE JR.

One of the guys on the CorvetteForum sent me over here to see if I could lend a hand. Hope it works out for you, be sure to let us know.

Jake
    1996 LT1 STOCK FOR NOW

Smile Plugs/Wires LT4

Well---- I was able to get the wire off and the plug out, thanks to your input. Now I can't get the new plug to thread in the hole. I can get the plug up to the hole, but my hand is to big to turn it. I have all the inner panels off to gain access, but still not enough room. I tried to jack it up and work from underneath, but no luck there either. I took off the brackets that hold the looms that hold the plug wires, to gain more room to turn the plug, but no luck. I am frustrated and disappointed, so I'll quit for tonight and try again tomorrow--or maybe Friday--or Saturday. My neighbor is a Mercedes Benz mechanic, I'll see if he can get it to thread. I'm so close to completing this job, I have 7 plugs in and this last one is giving me fits.

A million thanks for the wisdom of your experience, without that I would not have progressed this far!!!

If you don't have a Thumb Wheel for your plug socket,you'll have to use a short piece of 3/8 fuel line!!

Plug Wire #8 cyl-img_0255-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plug Wire #8 cyl-img_0255-jpg  

Glad to help, and I'm glad that you got this far. Don't give up, you can get this. Junkies suggestions will make it easier. I usually suggest the fuel line trick, but seemed to have spaced it off this time.

Plugs/Wires LT4

OK--- Thanks for the tip! The picture of the two devices helps. I'll try again on Friday. I have used the 3/8 hose on all the other plugs, but with the #8 plug I can't get the hose, the plug, and my hand in there all at the same time! I have an old, soft, rubber spark plug boot that will be flexible enough to be used in that tight space. I may loosen the right motor mount and jack up that side of the engine to gain a little room. Thanks again for all your suggestions---I will get through this. I can see why GM says to go 100,000 miles on the plugs. The old ones that came out were not that bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
    If you don't have a Thumb Wheel for your plug socket,you'll have to use a short piece of 3/8 fuel line!!

Plug Wire #8 cyl-img_0255-jpg
    Yep, I've used that trick too.

JAKE
    1996 LT1 STOCK FOR NOW

OK--- Thanks for the tip! The picture of the two devices helps. I'll try again on Friday. I have used the 3/8 hose on all the other plugs, but with the #8 plug I can't get the hose, the plug, and my hand in there all at the same time! I have an old, soft, rubber spark plug boot that will be flexible enough to be used in that tight space. I may loosen the right motor mount and jack up that side of the engine to gain a little room. Thanks again for all your suggestions---I will get through this. I can see why GM says to go 100,000 miles on the plugs. The old ones that came out were not that bad!!
    Just put a set of plugs in 1 of these bad Boys 1 time and you can put a set in any Corvette standing on your head!!

Plug Wire #8 cyl-img_0252-jpg
    Plug Wire #8 cyl-img_0215-jpg
    Plug Wire #8 cyl-img_0216-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plug Wire #8 cyl-img_0252-jpg   Plug Wire #8 cyl-img_0215-jpg   Plug Wire #8 cyl-img_0216-jpg  

Plugs/Wires LT4

Holly Cow!!!! that makes me glad that I have what I have. Would you have to take the engine out to do the plugs? It looks like that's an "F" body car. Tomorrow I will attempt (again) to do mine. All I have to do is thread that stupid plug in there and I am done. It sounds simple enough, but I am scared that I will cross-thread it in that aluminum head! Thanks for the pictures, I don't know how an engineer would let that go out the door of the factory knowing that it is impossible to put plugs in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast