Advertise with VetteTube!   -   Sponsors

Motor racing figure in fatal Corvette crash

Taranaki Daily News | Friday, 07 November 2008

A man is dead and a well-known race car builder is in hospital after a $150,000 sports car hit a power pole on the outskirts of New Plymouth yesterday.

New Zealand - The identity of the dead man has not been released but the driver is believed to be New Plymouth race car builder and speedway driver Murray Gordge.

He was known to have recently imported the high powered C6 Corvette.

The car smashed into a concrete power pole, flipped and came to rest in the driveway of a house on upper Frankley Rd, south of New Plymouth.

The car, still with its dealer plates, hit the power pole with such force it was ripped from the ground and snapped in two.

Power was cut to a wide area of New Plymouth after the crash.

Sergeant Michael Aro of the New Plymouth police said the serious crash unit would be attending the scene this morning.

Mr Gordge is well known throughout New Zealand for designing and racing modifieds - dirt track vehicles recognisable by their oversized roof-mounted aerofoils.

During his 20 years of driving race cars, Mr Gordge won the modified New Zealand Grand Prix title four times and was a six-time national champion.

Following the crash power was cut to around 2000 houses in New Plymouth. It was restored to all but six of those houses by 7.20pm, approximately two hours after the accident.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motor racing figure in fatal Corvette crash-770831-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

Taranaki Daily News | Friday, 07 November 2008

A man is dead and a well-known race car builder is in hospital after a $150,000 sports car hit a power pole on the outskirts of New Plymouth yesterday.

New Zealand - The identity of the dead man has not been released but the driver is believed to be New Plymouth race car builder and speedway driver Murray Gordge.

He was known to have recently imported the high powered C6 Corvette.

The car smashed into a concrete power pole, flipped and came to rest in the driveway of a house on upper Frankley Rd, south of New Plymouth.

The car, still with its dealer plates, hit the power pole with such force it was ripped from the ground and snapped in two.

Power was cut to a wide area of New Plymouth after the crash.

Sergeant Michael Aro of the New Plymouth police said the serious crash unit would be attending the scene this morning.

Mr Gordge is well known throughout New Zealand for designing and racing modifieds - dirt track vehicles recognisable by their oversized roof-mounted aerofoils.

During his 20 years of driving race cars, Mr Gordge won the modified New Zealand Grand Prix title four times and was a six-time national champion.

Following the crash power was cut to around 2000 houses in New Plymouth. It was restored to all but six of those houses by 7.20pm, approximately two hours after the accident.
    This is very sad to hear. Its always best to go to the drag strip if you want to safely and legally race a Corvette at high speed.

You have to respect the power. He was an experienced driver but should have taken it somewheres else (track).
    2006 Black/Black, Z51, MXO, 3LT, Corsa Sports, VaraRam, TB Spacer
    1stSgt. U.S.M.C. (Ret)(1974-1995)
    Semper Fi !!!!

Why do we need to push these cars to their envelope? Is there any other fix (high) that comes close? I think he probably died doing what he loved to do, my sympathies to those he left behind.
    I keep a picture of my daughter in the garage, I say goodbye to her everytime I get behind the wheel, I am always thankful to see her when I get home. I love her and would not want to have her hurt.
    Harley