Advertise with VetteTube!   -   Sponsors

2008 auto-trans "klunk"

Howdy all! Question for anyone with a 2008 C6 auto trans: I've read about others having the same question. The tranny will klunk into reverse or Drive when cold. Never a noise. Also if slowing way down then giving it a little gas to get going again. And that doesn't happen all the time. I've read in these forums everything from "that's normal" to "go to the dealer and ask them to download some new update" etc. Seems like lots of folks are experiencing this. Mine has about 15,000 mi. and I'm not the original owner, but I know him and I know he's kept it well maintained. I've had the trans fluid level checked and it's fine. I'm always skeptical of dealerships saying it's normal.

I have a fully restoed 1960 and a great mechanic. He's driven it and even he can't absolutely say there's a problem, but he feels it too. I'm glad it has a 5 yr. 100K warranty but there are very few dealerships with good Vette techs.

Any advice?

TUNITUP

Wink Re: 2008 auto-trans "klunk"

Apparently the original factory differential fluid might not be up to spec. There is a "Bulletine 07-04-02-002A" concerning replacement of differential fluid in '08s. This affects 2004-2008 Cadillac XLR (Including V-Series and Export) as well as 2005-2008 Corvette (Including Z06 and Export).

Bro has a 2008 and had kind of clunking sound to his differential. The new fluid seemed to do the trick for him, too. Ours started to make a slight noise when turning corners.

My Chevy dealer gave it a Job# 25CVZ AXLE/DIFF WORK and was done under warranty.

This could be the rear end noise (clunk) that you are hearing.
    Last edited by TUNITUP; 02-02-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks

I'll certainly check out the GM memo.