Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Swirls and Scratches

Advertise with VetteTube!   -   Sponsors

Swirls and Scratches

Hey guys,
    Consumer reports recently tested a crap-load of so-called 'Scratch Removers'! You know..those all-in-one products that supposedly do everything! Well..some..actually _added_ fine swirl marks to the paint finish! They tested most of the top brands, i.e., Mequiars, TurtleWax, Mothers, etc., ect,.! The Quixx was the only one that got rid of not only the fine stuff..but also deep scratches, not just filling them in, only to have them come back later when the product wears off! Left no additional swirls and/or scratches! Got everything out! The stuff,s been around in Germany for years according tom uncle in Bremen! Figures we'd bee the last to get the stuff!!
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...14/021923.html

Great article!!

Hib Halverson also recently reviewed a new wax and polisher. Supposedly this is the wax that GM uses at the factories.

I believe the Corvette Action Center will be releasing a large in-depth article on these two products this week. For the time being, here's a link to Hib's review:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...duct/71/cat/29

Good info Mark!
    Just to clarify things: QUIXX Scratch Remover is for 'local' areas of your car, i.e., a scratch on the roof, door panel, hood etc., ! The other powered polishers and thier polishes, usually in several grades of fineness and requireing diff. bonnets are for the whole car more or less!

Also..in regards to products that were/are being used/approved by the Military for use on planes/ships/equipment, is all well and good; I was in the Miltary for most of my life (Spec-Ops) and although I was not actually shipboard alot , I've seen and talked to alot of maint. guys and I can telll you..just because a product/products are and/or were approved for Mil Spec use does _not_ mean they're gonna' be the best for your car's finish! When the Navy and/or Air Force use a wax/polishing agent or whatever on their equip. the last thing they think about is: "is this stuff gonna' leave fine scratches and/or swirl marks in my clearcoat!" Consumer reports recently tested ALOT of car waxes and found that there were some..believe it or not..that actually _added_ fine scratches to the clearcoat; even though they were 'clear coat' approved'! I''ll try and find that issue and post the results on this board! Might save some people a few bucks (over the uber-waxes) and prevent possible aggravation next time they wax! The waxes were tested for durability, ease of use, harshness, and cost! Cost BTW. coast had nothing to do with quality! Stay tuned! Regards!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Great article!!

Hib Halverson also recently reviewed a new wax and polisher. Supposedly this is the wax that GM uses at the factories.

I believe the Corvette Action Center will be releasing a large in-depth article on these two products this week. For the time being, here's a link to Hib's review:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...duct/71/cat/29
    Just a point of correction. I don't think that GM puts any wax on the automotive finish especially the Corvette. The Official wax of the National Corvette Museum is C-Magic Wax. This wax is applied to all R8C NCM delivery Corvettes and all Covettes that are on loan to the museum (unless specified otherwise buy the owner). It is for sale at the NCM store, C-magic website, Ecklers, Amazon, etc. It is not sold in the mass market of K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc.

So what's best for the tinted roof on a 96?

Thanks,

Jake
    1996 LT1 STOCK FOR NOW

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEJR View Post
    So what's best for the tinted roof on a 96?

Thanks,

Jake
    Hi Jake,

Do not use ammonia-based window cleaners on the C4 tinted roof panels. To the best of my knowledge, the ammonia will slowly cloud the acrylic panel over time.

A buddy of mine has used Clear Vue and a microfiber towel on the bronze tinted roof panel of his C4 over the last 18 years and his roof panel looks like the day it rolled out of the factory.

Thanks for that info. I'll give it a try.

Jake
    1996 LT1 STOCK FOR NOW

MIKE-C5
    Menzerna ! !

Look at this pictures of a car I did ! !

Before

After