Advertise with VetteTube!   -   Sponsors
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Site Administrator MarkP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,435

    Corvette owners may be taking a bus home

    Corvette owners may be taking a bus home

    By JONATHAN JENKINS, SUN MEDIA
    Fri, June 22, 2007

    Two Americans may be taking a bus back home after York police seized their souped-up Corvettes and charged them with street racing.

    An off-duty cop helped stop the two cars allegedly zipping down Hwy. 400 at 200 km/h Wednesday around 4 p.m. "If anyone witnessed this from Barrie down to Newmarket and across Hwy. 9 to Newmarket, please give us a call," Sgt. David Mitchell said.

    The two black, modified Corvettes are likely worth $50,000 before any parts are added, Mitchell said.

    Ontario Attorney-General Michael Bryant warned racers earlier this week the government will seize any car even suspected of street racing and send it to a compactor, but Mitchell said the Corvettes' fates are still up in the air.

    William Henry Casey, 22, of Wilmington, Del., and Brandon William Edmundson, 23, of Peoria, Ariz., appeared in Newmarket court yesterday charged with dangerous driving and racing on a highway.

  2. #2
    Junior Member Eddie70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    21
    Now that would be enough incentive for me to never even think about street racing again. I don't really know how they can legally seize your car if they think you are street racing. They could take anyones car with this thinking.

  3. #3
    JCD
    Guest
    way to water down the party Mark.

    Not a big deal to me, I've never had anyone really try to race me.

  4. #4
    Junior Member Bob W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie70 View Post
    Now that would be enough incentive for me to never even think about street racing again. I don't really know how they can legally seize your car if they think you are street racing. They could take anyones car with this thinking.
    They can take the car till after things are finished in court. If you are found guilty the car could go , bye,bye .

  5. #5
    Site Administrator MarkP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by JCD View Post
    way to water down the party Mark.

    Not a big deal to me, I've never had anyone really try to race me.
    meh...makes for good discussion.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Converse
    Posts
    2

    Dead

    We've had several deaths here in San Antonio as a result of street racing. Victims include not only the drivers, but also innocent bystanders who happened to be walking/standing in the path of the out of control cars. It's a blatant disregard for life to be driving at race/drag strip speeds down a city street. Hopefully, American law enforcement/courts will start doing the same thing--take cars away from these fools.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    88
    Having been an Executive Protection Evasion Driving Instructor (see my profile) I must disagree with most of the posts re: taking peoples cars! Most of the people I know who own fast cars (not just Vettes) are much more experienced drivers than most of the pop. in general! And their cars are a quantum leap above most of what you'll see everyday bombing around on the streets! I agree..totally..drag racing/competitive driving should be restricted to the appropriate venues, and..if waarnted..confiscate thier cars! Austin area drivers are out of control so that sces even me (been in Afgan. Iraq; Bosnia; Beirut, etc,...as a driver..among other things)..makes me think..following the thoughts in this post..maybe we should take away _all_ bad drivers cars! Look up the stats folks!!! Compare the # of drivers/pedestrians killed every year across America by 'street racers' then compare to drunk driving; accidents due to improper lane change; tailgating; not slowing down in bad wheather; slapping the kids in the back seat..or my fav. from this past Sunday..a women driving around with her dog on her lap! Yep!! You read right!! Dog in her lap!! Do we take all thier cars away..they are after all..the _majority_ responsible for 90% of all the TA's and deaths in this Country!!i NOT drivers of so-called 'fast cars!'
    To reinterate: No excuse's for street racing/draging..not even for experienced drivers! Obey the traffic laws,drive defensivly use common sense, curtesy!!! But..the next time you're out driving..who are the dangerous idiots all around you? The drivers of fast cars..or the next Mom-Bomb doing her hair or yapping on the cell phone doing 90 in an SUV!!???

  8. #8
    smitter
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FullBull View Post
    We've had several deaths here in San Antonio as a result of street racing. Victims include not only the drivers, but also innocent bystanders who happened to be walking/standing in the path of the out of control cars. It's a blatant disregard for life to be driving at race/drag strip speeds down a city street. Hopefully, American law enforcement/courts will start doing the same thing--take cars away from these fools.

    I agree that street racing is dangerous to all but to take a car away from someone who did not injure anyone is ridiculous

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Des Plaines, IL
    Posts
    13

    ontarios drive clean program

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Corvette owners may be taking a bus home

    By JONATHAN JENKINS, SUN MEDIA
    Fri, June 22, 2007

    Two Americans may be taking a bus back home after York police seized their souped-up Corvettes and charged them with street racing.

    An off-duty cop helped stop the two cars allegedly zipping down Hwy. 400 at 200 km/h Wednesday around 4 p.m. "If anyone witnessed this from Barrie down to Newmarket and across Hwy. 9 to Newmarket, please give us a call," Sgt. David Mitchell said.

    The two black, modified Corvettes are likely worth $50,000 before any parts are added, Mitchell said.

    Ontario Attorney-General Michael Bryant warned racers earlier this week the government will seize any car even suspected of street racing and send it to a compactor, but Mitchell said the Corvettes' fates are still up in the air.

    William Henry Casey, 22, of Wilmington, Del., and Brandon William Edmundson, 23, of Peoria, Ariz., appeared in Newmarket court yesterday charged with dangerous driving and racing on a highway.
    They can stop and check your cars emissions,and issue tickets at will too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •