Advertise with VetteTube!   -   Sponsors

View Poll Results: Should The Next Gen Corvette Keep Up With The Times And Adopt A V6?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 16.36%
  • No

45 81.82%
  • Unsure

1 1.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

not only no...

i think you can see where i'm going with this, so i don't think i need to finish...

i had an E-Type, and everybody knows that's a stump-puller motor that physically cannot be stopped in gear, even with the aircraft-sized brakes on the thing and weighing easily 500 less than my current Z06;

that said, the V8 is all about low-end torque, which obviates the need to wind the clock as must be done with so many past and current Eurotrash wonders that must sing above 8-10K RPM like Tiny Tim with piano wire around his vitals in order to put lbs-ft to the floor...

a V6 in inherently unbalanced, requiring balancing shafts to do any serious work at the wheels or some other such hang-on stabilisers, which defeats the whole purpose of weight reduction;

there's a reason the V6 turbos didn't last long in F1...

has anyone ever heard a V6 growl?

they sound like a Corsa exhaust or an Annette Funicello beach movie!

downsize the V8 if you must, but please for the love of God, don't emasculate it, too, like too many other things in this politically correct clime!

This is a joke, right?

This is a joke, right?

Who ate the 8

The Corvette should obviously keep the bullet-proof 'small block' V-8 for the next iteration...let's not get stooopid!

Save the wave.....

Mac

Demographics & bottom lines at the general's...

Gentlemen (and others),
    In regards to the pro's, & con's on GM/Corvette V-6 production contemplation:
    The Corvette has (and no doubt always will be), a limited-production assembly-line car. I'm certain the majority of us are aware of it's humble beginning's of 300 cars, & somewhat less than enthusiastic acceptance by the automotive public, and sports cars afficianado's. By 1954, there was a huge surplus of 1954 Corvette;s that hadn't sold. 1955 production was 700 (already down from 1954's 3,640), so even the addition of a V-8 did not save the day!

Inline six cylinder, only Polar white initially, curtains for windows, etc. powerglide, NOT a big fan!
    Can anyone say: 1987 Buick Grand National???!!! (forget the 547 GNX's that year) A 231 cuibic inch turbocharged/intercooled V-6 was the fastest domestic production car in the U.S. in 1987! Faster than the twin-tubo Callaway 1987 Corvettes! The "Flagship" of GM/Chevrolet Corvette was dethroned by a little V-6, & a Buick no less... and a Regal... a "G" bodied sled???!!! Yep...sure was!

I have owned 4 '87 G/N's..., & 8 Corvettes...So What???!!!
    IMHO...with today's technology, why not a V-6 Corvette? Regardless of many sentiments about the Corvette being only a V-8, the bean counters always seem to hold more clout overall when everything is about the bottom line!

When Duntov found out that the 1965 Corvette's top offering of 327/375 F.I. H/P. car was no longer the fastest domestic car, he decided to go with a 396/425 H.P. model (GM restriction's dictating no engine larger than 400 cubic inches), then the restriction was lifted, & presto the 427! (Yes I remember the 427 "Mystery Engined Chevrolet's"...'BANNED By NASCAR, & GM too!) No factory-backed cars at GM started in 1957 - remember? (When I was employed by Crane Cams in 1964-1965, I saw a set of 427 M.E. heads at the shop).

I own a 1964 Sting Ray coupe, ZZ-4 aluminum-head crate motor, 4-spd, vinatge air. Even with all the upgrades to suspension, etc., it still pales in comparison in handling, performance, & gas mileage to MANY new cars - both domestic, & foreign. My dream to own a mid-year coupe was realized in 2009, & I am perfectly (no, read "EXTREMELY"), happy-as-a-clam to own one.

Maybe a "Sting Ray II" , in the near future with a V-6, that not only looks fast, it may well go fast, & get great mileage too! We have a retro Camaro, Challenger, & a Mustang, so why not a 1964-1967 retro Corvette? Remember that 1987 Buick Regal Grand National I mentioned? It WAS INDEED: Quick, had lotsa' creature comforts, & got good gas mileage. Seldom were you able to have ALL three desirable traits in a performance automobile. A real "Have-Your-Cake-And-Eat-It-Too" car!!!
    Perhaps my Sting-Ray II V-6 idea is laughable to some, & maybe most of you (makes no difference), but if GM/Chevrolet/Corvette builds a V-6, car, & keeps the price comparable to a Camaro, Dodge Challenger, Mustang, etc. (You have heard the Cuda' may return have you not?), I for one may just put my '64 coupe on the block, & go for some new Corvette technology...YES...even if it had a V-6!

More often than not, "Gymkana" 500 + horsepower V-8's, 11:00 second 1/4 mile E.T. street machine's in bumper-to-bumper traffic? Yep...that's what you're goning to encounter as the norm isn't it? So looking fast, V-6 less expensive Corvette is a vaible commodity., & I would venture an un-educated guess that they just might sell like hot cakes? Doubtful, but...a V-6 Corvette might just be the ticket, & may just set the automotive world on its ear, a bit better than the 1953 & 1981 Corvettes did! Remember, both "General Motors, & even Mrs. Motors" live, & die by the bottom line!
    "Raving lunatic rant...over, & out!!!"
    AL Z.

Terry Locklear

I presently own five corvettes, i can tell you i will never buy a v-6 corvette never!

Okay...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12