Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
GM's V8 Production Down by Half - Should Next Gen Corvette Adopt a V6?

Advertise with VetteTube!   -   Sponsors

View Poll Results: Should The Next Gen Corvette Keep Up With The Times And Adopt A V6?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 16.36%
  • No

45 81.82%
  • Unsure

1 1.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GM's V8 Production Down by Half - Should Next Gen Corvette Adopt a V6?

A source at General Motors has told Edmunds Inside Line that GM's engine production data indicate that GM produced 500,000 fewer V8 engines in 2011 than it did five years earlier in 2006.

Source: GM's V8 Production Down by a Half-Million in Past Five Years

With the success of V6 engines such as BMW's inline-6, as well as other notable V6 engines from other automakers, should the C7 Corvette get with the times and adopt a V6 engine, or should it stick with the heavier, less fuel efficient V8?

Cast your vote above and tell us what you think!
    MarkP, Administrator
    VetteTube.com

Supercharged or Turbocharged V6 is Fine

Although I love my 2008 Vette's LS3, why not a Supercharged or Turbocharged V6. I use the full power only occationally and have no problem shifting gears and using RPM to get the power when needed. Long live the standard transmission!
    Jerry

Sorry to say, it's coming...

But when?
    GM traditionally has put a high performance pick-up truck engine in Corvettes since 1953, in one form or another, it saves billions on duplicating production efforts. The GM line of pick-ups get the Camaro V-6 as a standard engine in 2013. The C7 will get some sort of 5.3ish liter V8, DOHC, I am sure, for a while, but if you want to see the future Corvette engine, ALWAYS look to the pick-ups.

The heart and soul of the Corvette has been the V8 engine. The current Corvette can already get close to 30mpg. I believe there is still a lot left in technology to get even more mpg out of the V8 (cylinder shutoff, etc.) as well as doing other things to the Corvette in way of lighter materials (carbon fiber, etc.) and such to get the mileage up even higher. Let's not dilute the Corvette's heritage by bowing down to a 6 cylinder engine. Let's keep all those 8 cylinders on tap when needed. Instead of going to a 6 cylinder engine, I would rather see the Corvette production end. Anyone remember the Prowler?

There are other alternatives to improved fuel effeciency such as cylinder deactivation or aero and weight reduction improvements. The Corvette should remain a V-8 and explore new technologies for fuel efficiency. Smaller V-6 displacement engines including ones equipped with turbos has been around for years and is a short term solution. Corvette has always been a leader in bringing new technologies to the market. Keep the V-8 and keep the new technologies coming through Corvette.

Give Customer a Choice

Agree, GM needs to use a variant of one of their high volume engines. Suggest the customer be given a choice. Just like Chevy beat Henry Ford's Model T "Any color as long as it's black" with "What color would you like" marketing approach.
    Need to get Vette sales up from the current very low sales levels to keep it viable.

get with the times? more fuel efficient V6?

First off would love to know where the editor picked up his information that the new corvette gets less efficient mpg then the V6's out there. 28-30 mpg beats out or matches a lot of V6's being offered today. As far as horsepower and torque goes...yeh the supercharged V6's may make some impressive numbers but at what sacrifice? You have to be turning 5000-7000 rpm to get it and then guess what...ya you're not getting good gas mileage then. I love the Vette's V8 motor for the simple fact that I can be in overdrive or 6th gear and get 30 mpg while turning only 2000 rpm. This while doing 80mph.

I believe the next version of GM's V8 will be just as powerful if not more powerful and also get even higher mpg by utilizing all the new technology available (direct ignition, electronic valve shutoff's, etc). The current model LS7 & LS9 motors prove what GM can do. V6 motors have no right even being mentioned with the name "Corvette". If you want a supercharged or turbo V6 go out and get a Kia.

Response via email:quote[First off would love to know where the editor picked up his information that the new corvette gets less efficient mpg then the V6's out there. 28-30 mpg beats out or matches a lot of V6's being offered today. As far as horsepower and torque goes...yeh the supercharged V6's may make some impressive numbers but at what sacrifice? You have to be turning 5000-7000 rpm to get it and then guess what...ya you're not getting good gas mileage then. I love the Vette's V8 motor for the simple fact that I can be in overdrive or 6th gear and get 30 mpg while turning only 2000 rpm. This while doing 80mph.

I believe the next version of GM's V8 will be just as powerful if not more powerful and also get even higher mpg by utilizing all the new technology available (direct ignition, electronic valve shutoff's, etc). The current model LS7 & LS9 motors prove what GM can do. V6 motors have no right even being mentioned with the name "Corvette". If you want a supercharged or turbo V6 go out and get a Kia.[/quote]
    MarkP, Administrator
    VetteTube.com

Quote Originally Posted by xtremevette View Post
    First off would love to know where the editor picked up his information that the new corvette gets less efficient mpg then the V6's out there. 28-30 mpg beats out or matches a lot of V6's being offered today. As far as horsepower and torque goes...yeh the supercharged V6's may make some impressive numbers but at what sacrifice? You have to be turning 5000-7000 rpm to get it and then guess what...ya you're not getting good gas mileage then. I love the Vette's V8 motor for the simple fact that I can be in overdrive or 6th gear and get 30 mpg while turning only 2000 rpm. This while doing 80mph.

I believe the next version of GM's V8 will be just as powerful if not more powerful and also get even higher mpg by utilizing all the new technology available (direct ignition, electronic valve shutoff's, etc). The current model LS7 & LS9 motors prove what GM can do. V6 motors have no right even being mentioned with the name "Corvette". If you want a supercharged or turbo V6 go out and get a Kia.
    We all agree NO ONE thinks V6 belongs in a Vette. The DOHC Direct Injection in the Camaro gets 30mpg @ 325hp, it will get 40mpg in a Vette with it's low signature in the wind tunnel. Pushrods are going away FAST. I bet IF and only IF a pushrod engine goes in a C7 it will only be a short-lived option, expect a DOHC Direct Injection V8, but that current Camaro engine is an awesome engine, we all must get out of the denial stage and see our future. A supercharged version of that 6 will get 500hp, 40mpg and be lighter. And that ain't no Kia brother!

Exclamation

It's an interesting question, but the Corvette /GM power-train division have a lot of room with the 'New' range of V8 engines to go before a V6 is considered. The numbers sold would hardly impact the overall "carbon foot print" Of the company. And since it's sales are not huge, I fail to see where a V6 is really a situation needing a fix. I have a 3.8 liter with a Eaton M90 supercharger in my 2007 Pontiac. Does it run great? absolutely, but even with it's 9 pounds of boost it is still a V6 and no matter what it's never going to be a V8. The C7 will do fine with the next generation of V8's. If for some reason a V6 is considered, then the Corvette will in fact be a Kia, and we can give our dearly beloved Corvette a decent burial. A corvette is a V8 equipped sports car and not a urban V6 street trawler !

Quote Originally Posted by Killain View Post
    It's an interesting question, but the Corvette /GM power-train division have a lot of room with the 'New' range of V8 engines to go before a V6 is considered. The numbers sold would hardly impact the overall "carbon foot print" Of the company. And since it's sales are not huge, I fail to see where a V6 is really a situation needing a fix. I have a 3.8 liter with a Eaton M90 supercharger in my 2007 Pontiac. Does it run great? absolutely, but even with it's 9 pounds of boost it is still a V6 and no matter what it's never going to be a V8. The C7 will do fine with the next generation of V8's. If for some reason a V6 is considered, then the Corvette will in fact be a Kia, and we can give our dearly beloved Corvette a decent burial. A corvette is a V8 equipped sports car and not a urban V6 street trawler !
    Well said...I would challenge to see a dyno graph of a turbo or supercharged V6 match a dyno graph of a V8. In addition, do this for around the same cost, be lighter and get better fuel ecomony. I agree that we can do a lot with a small block V8 and there is no need to downsize to a stressed out V6 that will break down by forcing it to do the same work as the V8 can do without breaking a sweat.

if i wanted or needed a 6cyl sportscar, i would simply go out and buy one. there are plenty of good ones out there to choose from. the same would apply if i needed a vehicle that acheived 40 plus mpg. most of us understand what the Corvette stands for and represents. and for us, a 6cyl will never be in that vision. the fact is, a 6cyl will never sound or perform like a similiarly equipped v8 (e.g. sc v6 vs. sc v8 or turbo 6 vs. turbo 8, etc). i would be seriously dissapointed if the Corvette was offered with a 6cyl. it is a low volume car anyways, so it wouldn't really make a significant impact for Chevrolet on any account and it would tarnish Corvette's reputation. i can see it now, the new Corvette in all the magazines and at every street corner getting embarrassed by its competitors such as Vipers, Ferraris, etc. besides, the v8's actually get decent mpg and with direct injection and even lighter Corvettes coming, there is no need for a 6cyl Corvette. in top trim, the Corvette is supposed to be an all out American supercar with the power and sound of a v8. let's not ruin a good thing (see GM history low points). among other brands, i currently own an 88 z51vert, 99 frc, 01 z51vert, 06 z06. for me the choice is clear: if the Corvette gets a 6, i will be purchasing a new viper instead.

What would be next. (1981) All the Vettes were almost identical sans the color and a few options. The same exact engine and HP that was in my 81 Silverado. If they can keep the hp up and the torque for the very heavy Vettes maybe. So many cars are so un-unique these days I hate to see GM make the same mistake they made in 81 and other yrs. People still give me the thumbs up when they hear and see my Vette. I personally want the Corvette to remain as one of the most unique vehicles in the world. Gm made a huge mistake because of emissions requirements. I'd be lucky to beat a Toyota anything with my California Vette without modifications. Now that's embarrassing for a VETTE!
    Last edited by boeing46; 03-23-2012 at 12:37 PM.

lt4 vette

If GM puts a 6 cylinder in the C7 Vette, I, for one, will never buy another Vette....That's an embarrassment.....

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    A source at General Motors has told Edmunds Inside Line that GM's engine production data indicate that GM produced 500,000 fewer V8 engines in 2011 than it did five years earlier in 2006.

Source: GM's V8 Production Down by a Half-Million in Past Five Years

With the success of V6 engines such as BMW's inline-6, as well as other notable V6 engines from other automakers, should the C7 Corvette get with the times and adopt a V6 engine, or should it stick with the heavier, less fuel efficient V8?

Cast your vote above and tell us what you think!
    The 6 cyl cars from BMW and Mercedes are in their entry level cars, not their true flagship high dolloar cars. The Vette is not an entry level car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast