Police chase ends in crash on I-55

By Patrick M. O'Connell
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
01/09/2009

Missouri - A police pursuit spanning two counties ended this afternoon when a Chevrolet Corvette stolen from a Kirkwood car dealership crashed on Interstate 55 south of Missouri Route M, police said.

A man stole the car from a dealership on Manchester Road about 12:45 p.m. and sped off. The driver eventually made his way onto northbound Brentwood Boulevard, then onward to Interstates 170, 70, and 55, police said.

The chase sped through downtown St. Louis before continuing southbound into Jefferson County.

The driver, Brice F. Holmes, 40, of St. Louis, swerved to avoid a slowing vehicle, lost control, struck a median, a cable barrier and a highway sign about 1:20 p.m., according to the Missouri Highway Patrol. The Corvette then continued across the northbound lanes, left the highway and struck a tree head-on.

Holmes was taken to St. Anthony's Medical Center with serious injuries. No other vehicles were involved in the crash.

Kirkwood police said they were not involved in the pursuit. Charlack police began pursuing the stolen car when it passed through their jurisdiction on I-170, St. Louis County police said. Charlack police could not be reached for comment.

Kirkwood police spokesman Steve Urbeck did not say which dealership the car was stolen from and did not have any details about the arrest or charges pending against the suspect.

The highway patrol confirmed the Corvette involved in the crash on I-55 was the same car stolen from Kirkwood.